Dates: Saturday – Sunday, June 25-26, 2022
Up to 3 positions available, as funding allows
Please submit an expression of interest by Sunday February 6, 2022.
Festival Overview: https://www.parrsborocreative.com/pipaf
All Parrsboro Creative Opportunities: https://www.parrsborocreative.com/opportunities
Join us in 2022 for our 6th annual Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival (PIPAF)! Nestled on Nova Scotia’s Bay of Fundy, with the highest tides in the world creating unique and ever-changing shoreline scenery, Parrsboro has become home to Canada’s largest Plein Air Festival.
Since 2017, Parrsboro Creative has organized the Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival, drawing 30 juried artists annually from across North America to compete in painting the picturesque sea and landscapes the Parrsboro Shore has to offer.
It’s part of Parrsboro Creative’s vision of developing the area’s cultural economy through the creation and enhancement of a community or artists and artisans that will rejuvenate the community, once a thriving shipbuilding area. Of course, the festival would not be possible without the support of sponsors ranging from government to private enterprise. Its success has been chronicled in media across North America, reaching thousands of artists, art galleries and art collectors’ organizations across the continent.
In 2020, COVID-19 shifted the festival online, and in 2021 it was restricted to the Canadian Maritimes. In 2022, the event will return to its international status, while keeping safety top-of-mind and keeping flexible as the virus and the science progress.
Pay and benefits:
– $1000 honorarium
– Upon request: 1 night billeted accommodation
– Complimentary breakfast at Sunday morning event (June 26, 2022)
For extra pay (and double the plein air fun!), it is also an option for a judge to offer instruction in a painting course (recommended duration: 1-3 days). Accommodation (private or billeted, depending on availability) would be provided for the duration of the offered course. Pay would be to split cost of registrations with Parrsboro Creative, 50/50. Please indicate in your application if this is of interest to you.
– Knowledge of and experience with a variety of 2D media (oil, acrylic, watercolour, pastel)
– Ability to work well collaboratively (in a panel of judges)
– Strong verbal communication skills for communicating with artists and event guests
– Experience painting en plein air (preferred)
– Provide us with a headshot, bio, and credentials for promotional use ahead of the event (submission by March 31, 2022)
– Share judging criteria/personal process ahead of time so we can pass the information along to artists before they begin painting (what do you look for? What makes the difference for you between a good and an excellent painting? Etc.)
– Saturday June 25, 2022: Judges expected to be at the venue by ~4:00pm, judging window from ~4:30-6:30pm
Arrival in Parrsboro should be within the window of 12-2pm on June 25
– Judge up to 93 paintings, and award in 7 categories:
o Best in Show
o 2nd Place
o 3rd Place
o Best Use of Light
o Best Seascape
o Best Nocturne
o Best Watercolour
– Remain unbiased towards any artist, medium, style, etc.
– Be prepared to briefly address Gala attendees during the awards ceremony
– Attend Breakfast with the Judges event on Sunday June 26, 2022, where artists can socialize with judges and discuss their works and the event at large
All events are COVID-allowing. We will pivot as necessary to keep everyone safe and will only proceed as common sense and provincial health guidelines allow.
How to Apply:
Please email a resume and a brief (no longer than 750 words) cover letter to introduce yourself to email@example.com with subject line “PIPAF Judge Application” or fill out LinkedIn’s “easy apply” function.
We strongly encourage interested candidates to apply before the due date. Applications are due Sunday February 6, 2022.
Parrsboro Creative is committed to equity, and we welcome and encourage applications from those who identify as women, trans or gender diverse, Black, Indigenous, Persons of Colour, LGBTQ2SIA+, and/or Persons with Disabilities.
We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind including, but not limited to, the basis of: race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, or veteran status.